I Must Be Crazy!

I just looked up the meaning of crazy. There are thirteen definitions (at least in the dictionary I looked in) and there are several that fit.

How I am about writing:

3. Intensely enthusiastic; passionately excitedCrazy

How I sometimes feel:

6. Unusual; bizarre; singular

How certain members of my family might see me:

11. An unpredictable, nonconforming person; oddball

How certain members of my family think of me during After Prom season (party held after the high school prom), and also, about writing:

13. With great enthusiasm or energy; to an extreme

There you have it. I must be crazy.

I want to dwell on number thirteen for a moment. It is now After Prom season (and I’m also writing, which is just doubling up on the crazy). The number of the definition is appropriate since our high school’s Prom/After Prom is on the 13th and it’s 2013. Our theme is Mardi Gras, and I spent a good portion of the day shopping with my co-chair for beads–massive amounts of beads.

But, I digress.

You may not think this is too crazy, but here’s the kicker. My children have been out of high school for several years. Yes, friends, I still do After Prom (as do a few other parents without students in high school) even though my kids don’t go there any more.

Crazy! I know.

Think of it as community service, or that there aren’t many parents who will step up to do this kind of thing, but what it boils down to is this–I enjoy it. As a creative person, I do get a kick out of the design and execution of this massive event.

It doesn’t help that the protagonist of my novel has been yelling in my head all day. “Why aren’t you doing your edits???” I have other writing friends who have this problem, so don’t be getting the straight jacket yet.

These things lead me to the fact that creative people are usually, just this side of looney tunes.

crazy quote Dr. Seuss

I want to know what crazy things other people do. The things that don’t make sense for you to do. What’s your kooky outlet? What are you bonkers about? What wacky things do you do?

Yours in insanity ~ RG

Being sane is boring ~ R. A. Salvatore

Advertisements

10 Comments

1. Arlee Bird said,

March 4, 2013 at 14:07

What is this? Part of a crazy blog hop? Two posts in a row about crazy writers! I must be going crazy.

So what comes first? The crazy or the writing?

• RGCalkins said,

March 4, 2013 at 14:17

I think it must be a crazy blog hop! Lisa and I have been spending too much time together.

Hmm, the crazy comes first. At least I think so. What was that?

Simon (my protagonist) just told me that he likes me ’round the bend, and to get busy revising the rest of his story.

Thanks for the comment, Lee!

2. March 4, 2013 at 19:05

Writing is the art of applying discipline to your insanity. 😉

3. Lizzie said,

March 5, 2013 at 07:48

Yes, keep writing!

4. rogbstoneRog said,

March 5, 2013 at 07:58

In our house we refer to it as sharpening pencils – that’s all the preparatory stuff you do in order to postpone actually doing the stuff you’re supposed to be doing.

5. rogbstone said,

March 5, 2013 at 08:09

In our house we refer to it as sharpening pencils: that’s all the stuff you do in order to postpone doing the stuff you’re supposed to be doing. It usually has value – like laundry, or organizing files, or checking email/social media for the umpteenth time – but it ‘s not the thing that really needs to be focused on, like writing or editing.

Love you! Now, get back to it, Kiddo!

• RGCalkins said,

March 6, 2013 at 15:16

I like that term ‘sharpening the pencils’ I may borrow it. I can relate–oh, wait, we are related!

Love you too!