Spring Has Sprung

I know this because my allergies have been acting up. And, although I love the season, the dull, nagging, sinus headache that’s  been courting all day is thinking of victory.

“New flash, you insistent bore, I’m going to crush you.” I revel in Headache’s cowering. ” I think a drive to the health food store to get my favorite allergy/sinus herb is in order.

Headache quakes in fear.

“That’s right you little sneeze, crawl back to where you came from.”

Whimpering ensues.

I grab my keys, slide my flip flops on, and sneer. “Ha! You can’t stop me now.”

Headache intensifies thinking to bring me to my knees.

My resolve is strong, I will make it five minutes (well, maybe ten) and drive to said store.

Headache pounds on the front of my skull.

“That won’t do you any good. You’re just a measly sinus headache. Toast! That’s what you’ll be.”

Eyes water, nose runs, Headache is joyful. It’s as if it says ‘See, I can affect all your senses.”

“Ah, no you don’t. You can’t effect my sense of self preservation.”

I screech to a halt, fling myself out the car door, and run into the store ignoring the stares from patrons and clerks. I reach for my precious Springtime remedy. “Curses! They’re out. The suffering populace has beaten me to it.”

Headache rolls around my noggin, laughing.

I hang my head, supporting the pathetic thing in my hands.

“Never fear, dear lady.” A kind, young clerk says. “I’ve yet to restock the shelf. Here is the first bottle of the new shipment.”

“Huzzah! My hero.” I cry out.

Headache sinks it’s nasty little, slimy claws into the sinus cavity above my nose. ‘Noooooo, I’ll drive you to bed, yet.”

I open the refrigerated unit and select a bottle of water, strip off the safety seal and rip off the cap. “Take this you insipid cur.” A couple of capsules, a swig of liquid. “Just wait, you primaveral fiend, twenty minutes and you’re gone.”

Headache responds with more pressure.spring flowers

I laugh and hand the clerk my trash and opened treasures.

“Don’t you just love Spring?” She asks.

“Actually, I do.”

Happy First Day of Spring, Everyone! ~ RG

Advertisements

10 Comments

1. lisafender said,

March 20, 2013 at 16:45

That was great,Robin! I do get to sneezing a lot in the spring, followed by a headache some times, but I do love spring!

• RGCalkins said,

March 20, 2013 at 16:48

Thanks, Lisa. This is what happens after spending a little time outside with the dog. Came in sneezing and a story was born (plus that stinking headache).

2. Carole Ramke said,

March 21, 2013 at 07:50

I learned to leave the headaches behind in 2004 and recently wrote a little book about it: How to Stop Colds, Allergies & More. For more information, my website is http://www.howtostopcolds.com.

• RGCalkins said,

March 21, 2013 at 08:43

Thanks Carole. I will definitely check out your site and book.

• Carole Ramke said,

March 21, 2013 at 11:18

If you have any questions, please let me know. My e-mail is on the website.

• RGCalkins said,

March 21, 2013 at 11:19

Thank you, I will.

3. Janet Baltz said,

March 21, 2013 at 11:47

Great little story. Outside the window, I see the little buds emerging on the tree limbs, getting bigger every day. Hope you are feeling better by now!

• RGCalkins said,

March 21, 2013 at 12:18

Thanks Janet, feel fine just a little sniffly. In waiting for my daffodils and crocuses to emerge.

4. Jody said,

March 23, 2013 at 15:08

Smiles

5. April 14, 2013 at 12:47

Scientific journal articles do mention the Paleo. The removal of all processed foods.

Voegtlin a Gastroenterologist and author, was one of the 22 judges, all with relevant expertise, who scored each diet in multiple categories.