The Thing About Cats . . . and Dogs

I strolled into my kitchen this morning to start some coffee and wandered into a large puddle in front of the refrigerator. This has become a common occurrence and I just grit my teeth and reach for the paper towels. I have a tile floor, so the water runs in the grout something like this —- brick puddle

Maggie in her favorite pose.

Maggie in her favorite pose.

It’s not from the refrigerator as I originally thought.

The perpetrator is my cat of fourteen years.

Maggie.

The thing about cats is this, they do not care what you think about them. You can yell at them, and cuss them, and they still don’t care. I’ve seen some cats that are “trained” (only if they want to be), but 98.999% of the cats in the world will do exactly as they please. I have had hundreds (I do not exaggerate, story for another time) and all of them are independent and prefer to let you bask in their presence. It’s not the other way around, I assure you.

Not only did I catch her “spilling” water on the floor, she looked at me as if to say, “What? I’m not doing anything and I dare you to prove it.” To add insult to the whole situation, a few days ago, I again approached my coffee maker and while I was scooping the coffee in, cold water splashed against the back of my legs. I spun around to see Maggie, paw in mid-air, with large, “I’m innocent,” Puss-in-Boots eyes.

I give up!

And, does the dog care? Oh, no. They’re in cahoots.

Sisters in mischief.

Sisters in mischief.

Here’s the thing about dogs. At least they have the decency to act guilty even if it’s not their fault. However, since Sadie grew up with Maggie, and Maggie is, for all intents and purposes, her sister, Sadie will sit beside the felon and watch me mop up the mess.

Dogs are also loyal, usually based on who provides the best treats (not really).  Sadie will abandon Maggie (when they are on good terms) for the following:

Treats

Belly rub

Barking at any noise (exaggeration, just loud noises)

More belly rub and hanging out with me when I write

068

Sadie

Outside

Followed by more treats, preferably cheese, and a belly rub.

She’s so easy.

Do you have a pet, or pets? Do they have little quirks that make you laugh or drive you crazy?

Share please ~ RG

Advertisements

6 Comments

1. claudiabette said,

April 4, 2013 at 17:48

Sadie is a Dachsund, I can tell. She looks just like my sister’s dog.

I have a cat and I love him to pieces!

• RGCalkins said,

April 4, 2013 at 17:53

Yes she is! She’s a great dog and actually, my daughter’s. I’ve always had cats with a few dogs in the mix, as well as sundry other critters.

2. lisafender said,

April 4, 2013 at 20:04

Yes, my sweet Branch! The nicest dog I’ve ever had, but she’s scared of her own shadow lol! I read what your saying about your cats and it confirms for me (again) why I don’t have cats. I’m glad to not have to deal with that any more!

• RGCalkins said,

April 4, 2013 at 20:06

I love and hate that about cats. Lol!

And, Branch is my sweet friend, just like her mother 🙂

3. kimberlyfoley said,

April 12, 2013 at 04:33

It’s true, cats have no sense of guilt whatsoever, while dogs have an overdeveloped sense of guilt. Which makes me wonder if I was once a dog in a previous life.

I love my dog, too. She is absolutely one of my children — my only daughter. She is going on 12 so her bladder control isn’t what it used to be, and she can’t come upstairs anymore to tell me she has to go out, so I often wake up to similar surprises.

• RGCalkins said,

April 12, 2013 at 05:40

Sadie is actually my “granddog” as she’s my daughter’s dog. She hasn’t lost bladder control yet, which is good, because Maggie makes enough need for them both.